Thursday 22 April 2010

What? this isn't pasta

No its cabbage and potato curry. I'm putting this recipe up now, because I have a photo of it from when I made it at the weekend. I know this week is supposed to be about fuel for marathon runners, but I haven't got any photos of pasta dishes I've made, so instead you're getting another fabulous curry recipe.

Staying on the 'slow releasing energy foods' theme though, cabbage does have a low GI, so I'm not veering off the subject too much plus I served it with brown basmati rice, another great low GI food. So all in all it was a perfect dinner for marathon runners.

I went to the London marathon expo today, where we picked up the American vegetarian's runner number and various other information. We bought tickets for a 'pasta party' lunch. Not sure what I was expecting, but the pasta party, consisted of pre-made pasta in heated up cartons. This surprised me a bit as I was expecting some freshly made pasta. Anyway, here's a freshly made cabbage and potato curry instead.

Ingredients

1 cabbage chopped
1 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 tbsp of oil
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
2 tsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of salt
3/4 tsp of sugar
1 tomato chopped or 2-3 tbsp of blended tomatoes
1 tsp of ginger, finely grated.

Method

Heat the oil in a pan, and once its hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle and pop, add the cabbage and potato, then add all the spices, salt, sugar, ginger and tomatoes. Give it a stir and cook on a low-medium heat for about 15 mins until the potatoes are done. Now because cabbage has water in it, you don't have to add extra water as it will seep out of the cabbage anyway. But just keep an eye on the pan, and stir half way through.

Serve with yoghurt, rotli, and brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment