Wednesday 21 April 2010

Veg box delight

I had a lovely surprise waiting for me when I returned home last night; my very first organic vegetable box had arrived. I have to say it was just so beautiful, sitting there waiting for me to take it inside and devour everything that was in it. I felt like all my Diwali's and Christmas' had come at once!

So in my box of delight was asparagus, sprouting purple broccoli, wild garlic, cherry tomatoes, batavia lettuce, a cucumber, a cauliflower, some oranges, pears and a mango.

I had to stop myself from making everything at once, as this is suppose to last us for a week or two. But considering how many veg we do eat, I think this will only last us one week. For dinner last night I decided not to curry any of the veg, and just steam them instead. (Much to the American vegetarian's joy!)

So last night we had; steamed purple sprouting broccoli, lightly boiled asparagus, a salad of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, wild garlic and batavia lettuce, quinoa with wild garlic and lightly roasted cherry tomatoes and some roast potatoes.

It was a taste sensation. I loved every organic mouthful. The wild garlic, was intense. Its like eating garlic in a leaf form. I read that it has a milder taste then garlic cloves, but I found it was just as intense. So instead of keeping the leaves whole, I chopped them up and added these to the salad. You can eat wild garlic raw, or cooked, so I also wilted some of the leaves down and added that to the roasted tomato quinoa salad.

We hardly said a word during dinner, just the odd "mmmmm" here and there. We were mesmerised by the taste elevating from our vegetables. It was glorious.

So if you don't already have a veg box delivery I highly recommend one. It's so exciting to receive and wonderful to eat. Plus a great way of giving more money to the farms and not to Tesco. Another added bonus is the delivery. Seeing as we weren't going to be in when the box was going to be delivered, I requested a secret hiding place for the delivery guy to put the box in. And it was exactly where I wanted it. It's so nice when a company does what you have requested them to do. So I also recommend getting a veg box for the delivery experience alone!

http://www.riverford.co.uk/
http://www.ableandcole.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE purple sprouting broccoli. And I once went wild garlic picking! It's so amazing! Your meal last night sounded healthy and delicious ... mmm ...

    ReplyDelete