Thursday 15 April 2010

Mung Bean Dhal (Mug ni Dhal)





I used to really dislike this dish growing up. Whenever I asked my Mum what we were having for dinner if she replied "Mug ni Dhal" I used to think "Oh no not the boring one". Yes to me this was boring, it was brown, flavourless and, well it just wasn't fish fingers and chips, which is what I really wanted for dinner growing up. But its amazing what age can do for your taste buds!



My Mum has recently bestowed this recipe to me and I made it the other day. I have to say both me and the American vegetarian loved it. She's training for the London marathon at the moment so I'm having to make a lot of low GI slow releasing energy foods. And this dish is a fantastic flavourful dish, that ticks all the nutritional boxes.

This dish does use jaggery. You don't have to go to an Asian grocery store to buy this, your local Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury should have it in their 'world food' isle.

Ingredients

180 grams Mung Beans (cooked to packet instructions or pressure cooked for 4-5 whistles until tender)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 cube of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/2 fresh green chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 cube of jaggery (gor) (a good tablespoon should do it)
1 tsp of salt
a good handful of fresh coriander chopped
some water


Vaghar (or flavouring the oil)

1 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tspn of cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
8 curry leaves
1 tomato chopped or 2-3 tbsp of blended tomatoes
1-2 tbsp yoghurt (optional)


Method

Once you have cooked the mung beans, transfer them to a pan and add enough water so the texture is liquidy and how you would like the the dhal to look (approx 600ml). Then add the turmeric, ginger, green chilli, jaggery, salt and the coriander, and let that simmer.

Whilst this is happening, get a frying pan and make the Vaghar, or flavouring the oil. The way you do this is, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle and pop, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, and then the tomatoes give it a quick stir and then add the yoghurt. Once you add the yoghurt take off the heat immediately (otherwise the yoghurt will curdle) and add this to the dhal. Let simmer for another 5-10 mins. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with more fresh coriander.


Serve with rice, or just have as a delicious soup.
















1 comment:

  1. Wow Bindz.....really cool will deffo be trying this one, have made it before but at my mums. Not tried such things outside of the 569 mostly as no masala nu dubba :-)

    ReplyDelete