Monday 19 April 2010

Flapjacks for Marathon runners

Its the final week of training for anyone running the London Marathon on Sunday, so in honor of all those mad courageous people (the American vegetarian being one of them), this week I'm going to be putting up recipes designed for marathon runners. (and their team coach!!).

Since the American vegetarian has been training for the marathon, I have been making ALOT of low GI slow releasing foods, but this week is particularly important as runners need to consume more carbohydrate then normal. Now to avoid getting pasta fatigue, good low GI snacks is a great way to get more carbs in your diet. This flapjack recipe is a winner in our home. I've been making a batch every week, (as they literally only last a few days), and I highly recommend this gorgeous snack for anyone who wants to get more oats in their diet.

I found this fab recipe on go faster food but I've adapted it slightly. The original recipe gives a buttery chewy flapjack, my one gives you a more crunchy type flapjack. Seeing as this is my blog I'm going to give you my recipe and put the original measurements in brackets (or parenthesis for the US readers). When it comes to oats I use organic jumbo oats and for the marmalade Frank Coopers is a fantastic thick cut preserve which will take your flapjack to another level. So if you do try this let me know which one you prefer (*my one pls*)

Ingredients

50 grams of unsalted butter (original = 75 grams)
250 grams of jumbo oats (original = 225 grams)
2 tbsp of marmalade (preferably Frank Coopers)
2 tbsp of demerara sugar
2 tbsp of golden syrup

Method

Preheat oven to 180 C
Melt the butter in a big pan on a low heat, once the butter has melted then add the marmalade, demerara sugar and the golden syrup. Once the sugar has dissolved add the oats and mix well. Take off heat and then put mixture on a greased baking sheet, and flatten out. Put in oven for 20 mins or until nice and golden. When you take it out the oven, place on a cooling stand and with a knife or spatula lightly score the flapjacks in rectangle shapes or any other shape that takes your fancy. Then when completely cool transfer to an air tight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment