Wednesday 26 May 2010

An American Diner Versus A Diner in America


I love big brunchy type breakfasts..well who doesn't? So seeing as it was my birthday on Monday the American Vegetarian treated me to an American style breakfast at The Diner (at my request). Now The Diner prides itself by serving "Classic American Dining", which is why I wanted to go there. Looking at the menu, I have to say my mouth was watering, and it reminded me of my days spent in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I used to always get breakfast at this fantastic diner called Daisy's Diner. I would sit at the counter with my Harry Potter book and order two eggs (my way), side of home fries and coffee. Being in America the cup was obviously bottomless, so was re-filled regularly; and all for $5. I was in breakfast heaven. 

So treating me to an American breakfast is a sure way to make me happy. Having studied the menu, for at least a week (or two) beforehand I knew the menu looked good and most importantly I knew exactly what I wanted. Eggs Benedict with home fries.

When we got there I was slightly disappointed that they didn't have any outdoor seating especially as we were experiencing tropical heat in London, but anyways, we sat near the open window so it wasn't too bad. The Diner is decked out like you would expect; booth type seating arrangements, with an assortment of condiments at your disposal. I saw that they had root beer on the menu, which immediately put a big smile on the American Vegetarians face,  now I can't stand root bear, to me it tastes like medicine, but the American Vegetarian loves it, so we wanted to order that. "Sorry, we've run out, we can't even order any from stock" came the reply from the slightly 'over eager to take our order' waitress. So we had some fresh OJ instead. Now the home fries were stated as being "spicy" home fries, I thought that this was unusual, as home fries that I've had in the states are just not spicy, but hey I ordered them anyway. Now the American Vegetarian ordered a Belgian waffle and home fries. We wanted some fresh fruit to go on top of the waffle, as that's quite usual too, but they said that they didn't have any fresh fruit!!! What? No fresh fruit anywhere in the building??? Not even a banana? an apple? or a grape? "No sorry, we've got some blueberries". "Fantastic, we'll have some blueberries" I said, "They are in syrup though...from a tin". "Oh well, we'll just have the waffle. Au natural then".

And so the food came, my Eggs Benedict was nice, but I've had better hollandaise sauce at other places, and the spicy home fries, were not spicy at all. They were just seasoned with rosemary. So that made the home fries even more bizarre. In the beginning I wanted just your everyday American style home fries, then after seeing the menu I got used to the idea that they were going to be spicy, and once they arrived I ended up with seasoned potatoes with onions!!

The Belgian waffle was just too sweet and too small to be classical American, and the fact they didn't have any fresh fruit...well what American diner doesn't have fresh fruit?

So all in all it wasn't the ideal American breakfast I had fantasied about in my head. The menu looks much better then the product they serve. If you want to eat at an American diner, than I whole heartedly suggest you buy an airplane ticket to the states and go to any diner you want. The food will be big, filling and will leave you with a slightly comatose smile on your face.

The picture above on the top is my breakfast from The Diner and the picture on the bottom and below is taken from a fantastic diner called The Broken Egg Bistro in Virginia Beach. The servings are big, the fruit fresh, and you get what you ask for...satisfaction.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I love how you blocked out your faces. Sorry you guys were disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great critique--I thourghly enjoyed reading it--and laughed as i did.
    An American mom

    ReplyDelete