Wednesday 5 May 2010

Barbecues for Vegetarians

As I mentioned in my previous post, when I received my Olive magazine this month it came with a free booklet; 21 Brilliant Barbecue Recipes. Not one recipe was vegetarian which annoyed me a bit to be honest. Barbecues are for vegetarians too! So I thought I would try and give you my 21 Brilliant Vegetarian Barbecue Recipes.

So to start off with I'm going to share two salad recipes that I had the pleasure of eating on Friday night at Nafisa's house.  Now I didn't make either of these salads, they were made by Nafisa and her friend Magali, so I don't have the exact quantities to give you, but I think you can experiment with what suits your taste buds.

Chick Pea and Red Onion Salad

Ingredients

Can of chick peas
Red onion; diced
Fresh Coriander; chopped
Yoghurt
Some oil
Mustard seeds
Poppy seeds
Salt and Pepper for seasoning

Method

Drain and rinse the can of chick peas and then mix in the red onion, yoghurt, and the fresh coriander. Set aside. Heat the oil, and add the mustard seeds and poppy seeds. Once they start to pop and become aromatic add this to the chick peas and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. 

Potato, Egg and Pea Salad

Ingredients

Baby potatoes; boiled
2-3 hard boiled eggs
Onion, cut into rings
Frozen or fresh peas
Yoghurt
Mayonnaise (optional)
Salt and Pepper for seasoning

Method

Cut the boiled potatoes and eggs into quarters or bite sized pieces. Then mix in the onion, cooked peas and yoghurt. You can use a mix of mayonnaise and yoghurt if you wish. You can also add some herbs if you wish. Parsley, chives or dill would go well with this salad. Season with salt and pepper

So here are my first two recipes in my quest to give you 21 Brilliant Vegetarian Barbecue Recipes.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. There are many interesting bbq recipes for vegetarian. Vegetarian BBQ recipes can go with a mixture of sauces including mint and mustard sauce with create a delicate and unique flavor.

    Vegetarian bbq recipes

    ReplyDelete