Saturday 19 February 2011

Tibits

I have a love/hate relationship with buffets. I love a buffet breakfast at hotels where you can just load your plate up with every food item they are offering. Even the items you wouldn't normally choose with the thought of  'its there so I'll have it'. I always experience a food coma afterwards and don't eat until 24hrs later when it's time for breakfast again.
I don't like an 'all you can eat' restaurant. You don't know how long the food's been sitting there, and I always feel quite full quickly. And once I've got home I feel hungry again.

Now one establishment which I totally love for many reasons is Tibits. A vegetarian buffet restaurant. Tibits is not an 'all you can eat' establishment but a 'pay by the weight' restaurant. Reasons why I love this place and recommend you go there are;

1) The interior is lush. Its cleverly decorated, making it look and feel like a proper restaurant. The colours are deep reds, and greens, with low hanging light fittings. Very chic.

2) The service is good. You get welcomed and they ask you if it is your first time at Tibits. If it is, then they explain how it works; fill your plate with food, then go to the counter and it is priced on how much it weighs. There's a station with free tap water that you can help yourself to, and the Sunday papers to browse over as well.

3) They have a bar area where you can purchase coffees, cocktails, croissants and muffins. You can also purchase sandwiches and they have take out options here too. Delish

4) The FOOD. The food options are fantastic. They have a really good selection of hot and cold dishes, as well as a selection of lettuces, salad dressings and toppings like pine nuts etc. The American Vegetarian and I went there last Sunday after the yoga class she teaches in Covent Garden. Sunday lunch is so good after yoga. The thought of a mountain of food just makes me work harder. And at Tibits, you can really fill your plate up to your delight.

The hot dishes ranged form North African sweet potato in a cream and peanut butter sauce, creamed spinach in a saffron sauce, buckwheat dumplings, and leek and potato quiche. The menu changes seasonally but there are some options you can guarantee will be there, like spiced potato wedges, pilau rice and jalapeno pepper poppers. The cold dishes ranged from quinoa salad with grilled aubergine, yellow lentil dhal, apple and fennel salad in a light curry sauce. Plus you get a free bread roll with your plate as well, and if that isn't enough they have gluten and wheat free options too!!!
What I also love is that when you sit down with your mountain of food, every mouthful has a different taste. I love it. In fact my mouth is watering now just writing this.

As vegetarian restaurants go this surely is one of the best. Not only is it tasty, but the food is different to your everyday vegetarian options. Vegetarian or not I guarantee you will enjoy the food here and walk away fully satisfied. Its so good to see a vegetarian restaurant with options and variety. Healthy, hearty, natural non processed food. What more could you ask for? Oh the desserts are good too!


Tibits is at 12-14 Heddon Street, London, W1B 4DA.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I made the cabbage and potato curry this weekend and it was amazing! All the directions were easy to follow and it turned out perfectly. Even my meat eating husband loved it - and he hates cabbage.

    I will definitely be trying out the other recipes here!

    Thanks,

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete