Tuesday 8 March 2011

The American pancake V the English pancake

As its Pancake day I thought I'd write about pancakes. Now since the American Vegetarian entered my life, I have consumed more pancakes then I ever have done. Before, I only ever had pancakes maybe once every few years on pancake day and then again if I passed a creperie. But I never made them at home.

I was introduced to the American pancake when I spent time in the States. Small, fluffy things stacked on top of each other with fresh fruit and maple syrup. I remember going to Ihop and the choice you had was astonishing. You had the original buttermilk pancake, the 'Harverst Grain 'n' Nut pancake, Strawberry banana pancake, New York Cheesecake pancake(!!!), Cinnamon pancakes, Blueberry pancakes and Chocolate chip pancakes!!! (Wow I'm so hungry now, I actually want to buy a ticket to the US just to go to Ihop).

Now here in the UK and other European destinations, we favour the thinner style pancake, also known as crepes. They taste great with some lemon and sugar or even some Nutella. These pancakes remind me of walking around a market or festival where there would no doubt be a crepe stall and treating myself to a cheeky snack. I love the lightness of these crepes, and I love the combination of lemon and sugar. This combination for me only works on these types of pancakes. I never have lemon and sugar on American style pancakes. My topping of choice would undoubtedly be blueberries.

For me the American pancake wins hands down. I mean what other country has a franchise dedicated entirely to pancakes. I can't think of a chain here in the UK that is renowned for serving English pancakes. I know there is My Old Dutch, but they're dutch pancakes. Also the American pancakes are much more of a breakfast thing. I find the crepe more of a lunch or snack food.

I love the fluffiness of an American pancake, and I love putting different toppings on it like blueberries, strawberries, bananas and yoghurt, but what I love most is relaxing on a Saturday morning whilst the American Vegetarian makes me American style pancakes. Aaahhh bliss.



No comments:

Post a Comment