Tuesday 8 February 2011

Garlic Chutney (Lasan ni Chutney)

I think I would be correct in saying that most people think Indian food contains onion and garlic as two of the main ingredients. Well not in my family. My Mum has never cooked with onions or garlic. In fact they're not even allowed in the house. It's not the taste she doesn't like but the smell.

Whenever we had Indian food at a wedding she would always ask the uncle standing behind the oily bowl of vegetable curry if the dish contained onions or garlic. If the answer was yes, she would then hold her nose and walk away. Whenever we went to eat at a friend's they would always make sure that there was a non onion and garlic dish especially for Mum.

Now I can take or leave these ingredients when I cook Indian food. There are only one or two dishes I cook which contain onion or garlic. This is because of my Mum, and I like it that way.

However there is one chutney or paste that we always have in the fridge and its lasan ni chutney (garlic chutney). This is actually more like a paste then a chutney as you only use half or quarter of a teaspoon at a time in dishes.

At the weekend I went home to see the parents and during my stay my Mum shouted at asked my Dad to make the lasan ni chutney, its one of his jobs. My Mum doesn't make the chutney as she doesn't even like to touch garlic - I don't know why, it's kind of like Kryptonite to Superman.

Anyway, so I saw how my Dad makes lasan ni chutney and this is our recipe for you to try. This will make around 200 grams. Once done, use it like a paste. Add a quarter or half a teaspoon to Indian dishes in the cooking process, or what I like to do is add some to two tablespoons of natural yoghurt and mix really well. This will give you a nice dip.

Ingredients

Two bulbs of garlic, peeled.
4 tablespoons of chilli powder (don't be scared, its a paste and you only use a bit at a time)
2 tablespoons of oil
2 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of lemon juice.

Method

In a (massive) pestle and mortar, crush all the garlic until paste like. Once the garlic is quite crushed add the salt. Continue to crush until really paste like, then add the chilli powder and mix really well. Add the lemon juice, mix again. Transfer to a container and keep in the fridge to use at your pleasure. My Mum said this can keep for about 10 months!

1 comment:

  1. This stuff is great as part of a pizza sauce (ala papu mia pizza's)and in yoghurt with thepla yum yum indeed. Nice post Bindya!

    ReplyDelete