Tuesday 20 March 2012

Spicy Polenta

What to do with polenta? I like polenta but I've never really known what to do with it. I know the Italians use it a lot, but most of the recipes I've seen require a lot of stirring and also require you to stir it for around 30 mins. So when my Mum showed me how to make spicy polenta in under 10 minutes I was all ears and eyes.

I've tried this at home, and have to say its a lovely little dish to have as a lunch or tasty snack. Add some salad or some grilled veg on the side, and you have a wonderful dinner.

This recipe is tasty, quick and simple.

Spicy Polenta

Ingredients

1 tbspn. of vegetable/sunflower oil
1/4 tsp. of mustard seeds
5 curry leaves
Large pinch of asafoetida (hing)
13 fl oz of water (you need double the amount of polenta, so two cups of water to 1 cup of polenta)
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. of chilli powder
3/4 tsp. of salt
1 cup/130gr. of Polenta (coarse cornmeal)
2 tbsp of yoghurt

Method

Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop add the curry leaves and the hing. Then add the water and all the spices. Allow the water to come to boil. Once it starts to boil add the polenta and yoghurt and stir so it all comes together and there are no lumps of polenta left. Stir for about 3-4 minutes.

Serve with a salad, some grilled vegetables, or just have on its own...like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment