Friday 2 March 2012

Baked Beans Curry


Now I know the title may not sound too appetising, but I assure you this is great comfort food territory.

Turning a can of baked beans into a curry was my very first attempt at making a curry. This was of course years and years ago, when I was a student and realising that I should have never taken my Mums food for granted. In fact, it was even the American Vegetarian's first attempt at making a curry. I feel it is like the first initiation. If you can turn a can of baked beans into a curry then you’re on the right road.

Last week I just had a craving for it, so thought I would share the wonderful simple and yet very comforting dish of baked beans curry with you. 

Ingredients

1 can of baked beans
Half an onion
5 curry leaves
1/4 tsp. of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. of turmeric
1/2 tsp. of chilli powder (or a bit less if you don't like it too spicy)
1 3/4 tsp. of ground coriander
Some salt
1 tbsp. of oil

Method

Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once the mustard seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves, and then add the onion. Stir and cook until the onions soften. Then add the can of baked beans and the rest of the spices. Now because there is already salt in the can of beans check the seasoning before you add the salt in. You will need some salt, just not an entire teaspoon of it. Let it cook together for around 5 minutes, then serve on either toast, or a jacket potato or however you like your baked beans.

De-lish.

No comments:

Post a Comment