Sunday 12 June 2011

Saffron Lounge (Desi Style)

Warning: This post is not entirely vegetarian:

When I was a kid, my first experience of restaurants was Pizza Hut (every time one of my mates turned 15 we all went to Pizza Hut and gorged on the salad bar), and an Indian, otherwise know as a 'curry house'. Growing up in a Gujarati home, I never thought going out for an Indian would be much fun or different. Why pay for food you can eat at home? But the food at home was all vegetarian and contained no onion or garlic (onions and garlic to my Mum is like kryptonite to Superman). So going out for an Indian was actually a very different and enjoyable experience. I had my first experience of tikka masala, jalfrazi, korma and peshwari naan at a curry house and enjoyed every onion filled mouthful.

So on Friday the American Vegetarian and I ventured to a curry house called Saffron Lounge, in Southend-on-Sea. (my family live there which is why I was there!).

Saffron Lounge is a modern take on an old skool classic. It's decor is all black and white, with leather chairs and white napkins. Pictures of a modern India adorn the walls and there's a tip of the hat to the old skool red velvet wallpaper in the bar area in the form of black velvet wall paper

The menu is a smorgasbord of Indian delights. Old skool classics as well as 'Healthy Options' an inventive 'tapas' menu and a salad section that consisted of more than just your every day side salad like a 'Paneer Tikka Salad'. Leaving the healthy options aside (it was Friday after all) I opted for a non veg starter and the American Vegetarian had a very lovely Hara Bara Kebab which is a great vegetarian starter. Its a spicy mix of peas, carrots, beans, spinach and potatoes made into a small sausage type shape and lightly fried. It also has a surprising piece of paneer through it too, which gives this dish a wonderful flavour and texture.

For my mains I opted for the 'Tandoori King Prawn Masala (desi style), which was a tasty, spicy, glorious mix of onions, garlic and tomatoes. The American Vegetarian had the Saag Bhaji (spinach), and the Bhindi Bhaji (okra) and these were just as good. They were not overloaded with oil, but a great mix of spices instead. We both shared the Saffron Lounge Dahl which was a lovely dish of spiced yellow lentils and some Saffron Lounge naan, which came with green chills' and coriander. I have to say this was lovely. I usually go for a plain naan, as peshwari is sometimes so sweet, its like having dessert with your mains at the same time. So this welcome alternative to the plain was very much enjoyed.

After all that food, we were both too full for dessert. I was there with three generations of my family and we all enjoyed the food. Saffron Lounge has something for everyone, it has the classics, it has something different (tapas menu), and it has something healthy. But if you want something a little extra spicy then ask for it desi style, they'll know what you mean.

Saffron Lounge
12 Hamlet Court Road
Westcliff on Sea
Essex, SS0 7LX
01702 330 575
www.saffronloungeessex.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment