Friday, 13 January 2012

Beetroot & Walnut Hummus

Technically this is not hummus as hummus means chick peas and there are no chick peas in this. So in actual fact it's a beetroot and walnut dip. Basically if you like beetroot (I do) and walnuts ( I do) then this is the dip for you. And in fact even if you don't like beetroot, this is the dip that will change your mind....forever.


I found this delicious recipe in the fantastic Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall 'River Cottage Veg Every Day'. I really really like this book, its got some great vegetarian recipes in it that will have your stomach dying of hunger by just looking at the pages. Seriously, I first looked at this book after eating dinner. I sit down to read the book, and within minutes my stomach is crying out for food, and I feel like I haven't eaten in days. 


If you love your veg, then I highly recommend getting this book. In the meantime here is one of my favourite recipes from the book. I like this because its simple and quick to make, plus it is full of flavour, packs a punch with taste and I guarantee will convert even the most die hard beetroot haters.


Ingredients


50g walnuts
1 tbsp cumin seeds
25g stale bread, crusts removed
200g cooked beetroot (not pickled), cut into cubes
1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 large garlic clove, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A little olive or rapeseed oil (optional)

Method

Put the walnuts on a baking tray and toast in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant. Leave to cool.
Warm a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and dry-fry them, shaking the pan almost constantly, until they start to darken and release their aroma - this should take less than a minute, so be careful not to burn them. Crush the seeds with a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder.
Break the bread into small chunks, put in a food processor or blender with the walnuts and blitz until fine. Add the beetroot, tahini, most of the garlic, a good pinch of the cumin, half the lemon juice, a little salt and a good grind of pepper, then blend to a thick paste.
Taste the mixture and adjust it by adding a little more cumin, garlic, lemon, salt and/or pepper, blending again until you are happy with it. Loosen with a dash of oil if you think it needs it. Refrigerate until required but bring back to room temperature to serve.


Recipe from 'River Cottage Veg Every Day' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. 

1 comment:

  1. YUM
    another way to go is to process roasted beetroot into chickpea hummus = you get the best of both.
    must find this cookbook
    merci carolg

    ReplyDelete