Friday 21 October 2011

Farari bateta nu shaak (Potato curry with coriander and cashew nuts)

Its festival season in the Hindu/Gujarati calender, which means lots of nice food and family time. Some people fast on some days during this time and this dish is a dish my Mum would make when we fasted.

I didn't mind fasting as a child. Fasting didn't mean you couldn't eat all day until the evening but that you couldn't eat certain types of foods. I always felt a bit special when I fasted. I remember going to school and instead of having school dinners I would have some roasted and salted peanuts that Mum would have made me. I also just looked forward to the amazing dinner Mum would make when I got home.

The food that Mum made on the days we fasted was different to the every day 'dhal bhaat shaak n rotli (dhal, rice, curry 'n' rotli). It was special fancier food, well at least I thought so anyway. This potato curry is one of my all time favourites, and one you will not see in your every day high street Indian. It hasn't got a heavy tomato sauce but is light, fragrant with cashew nuts and coriander and delicious served with just some natural yoghurt.

Serves 4.

Ingredients

8 medium sized red potatoes; boiled and cubed.
A cube of ginger peeled and grated.
Half a green chilli.
1 tspn of salt.
1 tspn of sugar.
Big handful of cashew nuts; loosely broken.
Big handful of fresh coriander; chopped.
1 tspn of cumin seeds.
1 tbspn of sunflower/vegetable oil.
A splash of lemon juice.

Method

Once you have boiled your potatoes allow them to cool down and then peel the skin off and cut them into cubes and place on a dish. The potatoes should be at room temperature. Add the grated ginger, the chopped green chilli, salt, sugar and the coriander onto the potatoes. Heat some oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and cashew nuts. Once they smell aromatic add the seasoned potatoes and toss it all together. The way I toss the potatoes is by holding the pan and doing a flip action rather then using a spoon. Using a spoon will crush the potatoes. So mix well by tossing the actual pan. Add a splash of lemon juice and cook on a low heat for around 5 mins.

Serve with natural yoghurt.

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe and so tasty too. Thanks

    Goldy

    ReplyDelete